Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Introduction

I am writing this blog as an exercise in putting free useful software in context. In my hunt for useful, and free software tools I have found a lot of resources out there but I believe much of the useful information and reviews are scattered, disconnected and downright confusing for the average computer user. Thumbs up, thumbs down, and stars are hardly useful and are only a smidgen better than a crap shoot when it comes to evaluating free software.

The purpose of this blog will be to put some of the most useful free software tools in context. By that I do not mean a review of features and functionality, or a bug hunt. Instead I will put the tools in context of their use. How do I use them? What problems do they solve? Where can we get it? Around these ideas I hope to start a dialogue with other users regarding the same issues. Will my suggestions work for you? What problems might the tools I have pointed out help you to solve? How are you using the software tools? Do you have better suggestions? In the end I hope to have a blog loaded with the most useful and free software tools and common sense conversation about how to use them and apply them.

For the most part, this will be Windows related material but I may stray into Apple or Linux when something interesting comes up. That said I'm not a fanboy of any system. Windows is where I have experience and it is what I am familiar with....it is a means to an ends, not a goal in and of itself. For me, software and operating systems are tools, not a social cause or a status symbol.

This is supposed to be fun and informative. Part of my goal will be to provide a suggestion, solution, treat or toy (depending on your perspective) to explore and discuss here. My ideas emerge from years of trying to solve my own personal computer problems and serving as the unofficial tech support dude for many a family member and friend.

This blog was inspired by another blog post I saw on Zdnet in which the commentator shared the contents of his "Thanksgiving/Holiday CD". It was essentially a CD full of useful utilities he shares with his family once a year while at home providing gratis tech-support in the holiday spirit. I thought, why not continue that as an ongoing process with thoughtful commentary rather than just the typical software ratings.

My experience, what I know about Windows, is self taught. I have been playing on computers since my dad brought home the HP Chipmunk terminal and later the HP 150 (1st touch screen) to use from home. In college I had a Packard Bell XT clone. My first Windows machine was a screaming 486-66 Comtrade running Windows 3.11. Now I run WinXP dual boot with Ubuntu on a Dell Dimension 8300 (3 ghz Pentium IV, with 1 Gig memory). And...I own an iPOD Touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment